Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I now have a blog

Once upon a time, I used to love writing and wrote a lot. And then someone very close to me told me I was actually a terrible writer, and I stopped writing. But I'm so done with this good/bad business--the truth is that I love to write. So this summer, I embark on a return to what I once loved to do. Yes, I will still be writing a dissertation (goal: PhD by the time I'm 28--woo-hoo!), but I will also be writing more and playing more music and . . . we'll see. Life is truly an adventure, and often the greatest adventure of all is going within.

The title of my new blog is taken from a favorite poem by Sir Edward Dyer (1543-1607), which was used in a lovely song by John Dowland (1563-1626). It's yogic in an early modern English sort of way. Enjoy!

The lowest trees have tops, the ant her gall,
The fly her spleen, the little spark his heat,
And slender hairs cast shadows though but small,
And bees have stings although they be not great.
Seas have their source, and so have shallow springs,
And love is love in beggars and in kings.

Where waters smoothest run, deep are the fords,
The dial stirs, yet none perceives it move:
The firmest faith is in the fewest words,
The turtles cannot sing, and yet they love,
True hearts have eyes and ears no tongues to speak:
They hear, and see, and sigh, and then they break.

1 comment:

  1. You are a fantastic writer! Keep it up...I am very inspired by your ideas of strength, should and shouldn't, and your bravery in telling your story. I was assaulted 12 years ago and have told very few people my story. I'm afraid of reliving it and of the reactions of pity. Good for you, and welcome (soon, I hear) to the Evans clan.

    ReplyDelete